What Happened to generosity?
& no, I'm NOT talking about generosity as in "X$ donated to non-profit Z".
I am talking about the act of sharing & giving without a second thought in everyday life. Today sharing a DVD or giving a computer file is considered "Piracy" and outlawed.
In my personal opinion:
Yes, artists & authors should get their paycheck for their work, but not by suing others. The problem is the propaganda by the Music and movie industries, that file "sharing is piracy" due to the potential CDs/DVDs not sold.
Right now, as it stands, there's there's no way to avoid breaking the law. Example:
...assuming you have bought the DVDs/CDs/Books in question...
- Do you think you should have the right to watch movies or listen to music with your friends?
- Do you think you should have the right to watch a movie or listen to music or even play an instrument in a public place?
- Do you think you should have the right to play movies or music at a party?
- Do you think you should have the right to show it to your friends/relatives at a blog/forum by uploading it?
- Do you think you should have the right to share it with others by uploading it?
Also, public libraries could be attacked and closed down in the near future due to the potential Books/CDs/DVDs not sold. Internet repositories are already being shut down...
The International Music Score Library Project was a repository of more than 15,000 musical scores that are in the public domain here in Canada. I was forced to close the site due to circumstance after receiving lawsuit threats from music publishers that do not want the public domain to exist.